Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Lay of Arthur, part first

This is the first in a series about Arthur and his knights that I have been working on. And a heads up to everybody, Lancelot does not appear.
THE LAY OF ARTHUR
Part I
So. In the mists of time long past
Of the great kings of lore was born the last
Into realm with strife and greed riven
by kings with no thought of Lord or heaven
For Uther's crown did the mighty strive
And many men did of life deprive.
Nigh' London Town they met in great array,
And in battle joined at the break of Day.
Black the ravens flew soared
above the writhing battle horde.
The field with blood ran red that day
As each man as well as he might did slay
those who challenged his king's right
to rule the throne of Britain's might.
As Darkness slow began to fall
and stretch forth its darkened pall,
Did Merlin on a hill appear, with lightning fey
and ended the slaying for that day.
“That in this land I may war
avert, a test for all, near and far
I now proclaim.” Quoth He
“The Victor Uther's True heir shall be.”
“What shall this test of thine be?”
Cried Lot, Proud King of Orkney.
And Lo! Onthe hill appeared a stone,
And in it a blade as if from heaven thrown.
“Whoever sword from stone can part,
Thou the king of England art”
Then one and all did strive the sword to free
That King of England they might be.
Yet though great and strong the sword did try
Yet none could begin to pry
it from the cold hard stone,
till they stopped, weary heart and bone.
Then Lot again in Furry spake
“What manner of Jest doth thou make?”
Dost thou think us to mock?
A blade in Stone Thou doth lock
So no hand I warrant can free it but thine,
No son of Twlwyth Teg shall be king of mine!”
Then did Merlin swift wax wroth with rage
To be thus challenged, yet within a cage
He checked his passion, and did not balk,
but carefully, wisely crafted his talk
“This stone and I are bound by my word
Uther's heir alone may wield that sword!"
And with that he was gone, they knew not where
Only that he was no more there.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Evan,

    I was reading over this post and wondered if you've been reading or have read "Life-lore poems" by LUELLA KNOTT? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have not. I will look it up. I need to update this poem, I have made some revisions to it recently.

    ReplyDelete